Chest Computed Tomography (CT) + Artificial Intelligence (AI): a potential complementary approach to RT-PCR for COVID-19 detection and lesion characterization
InferVision is a leading global AI high-tech enterprise dedicated to applying deep learning technology to assist medical image diagnosis with efficient and accurate solutions. This company has developed an AI solution (InferRead CT Lung COVID-19) based on CT lung scans to help radiologists make diagnostic judgments on COVID-19 patients’ conditions quickly and accurately, providing not only confirmation of real COVID-19 cases but also information about the extent of the lesion and a solid basis to evaluate treatment options.
Description of the Study:
- Title: Precision diagnostics in pediatric chest involvement of COVID-19: Added value of an artificial intelligence tool in chest CT analysis.
- Principal Investigator: Josep Munuera del Cerro.
- Co-Investigators: Ignasi Barber, Flavio Zuccarino,Victoria Fumadó, Mariana Planells, Emili Inarejos and Enrique Ladera.
- Centers of Implementation: European consortium of referral hospitals as well as the company InferVision. Some of these hospitals are: SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital, CHU Nimes, University Medical Center of Mainz, Xcoorp GmbH Tele-radiology, University Hospital Zurich, Campus Bio-Medico University Hospital and others.
- Study Population: Patients admitted to SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital who have clinical-radiological criteria for chest CT, either to complete a COVID-19 diagnosis or because their underlying disease indicates it.
- Design: The chest CT findings of the study population are studied and they are also compared with the results that the AI algorithms indicate.
Objectives of the Study:
Principal Objective: To validate the AI-based solution InferRead CT Lung COVID-19 in CT lung scans from real COVID-19 pediatric and adult cases. This approach may be used as a complement to other diagnostic techniques such as RT-PCR and to quantify the disease progression in confirmed cases.
More about this Study:
Scientific context: Chest CT has proven to be a very accurate diagnostic and prognostic tool in COVID-19 lung involvement, as 96% of patients with COVID-19 present chest imaging abnormalities. Thus, a CT+AI approach could be used as a first diagnostic tool with subsequent RT-PCR as a confirmation tool.
Added value: The European consortium provides a unique setting to validate InferRead CT Lung COVID-19 with thousands of real COVID-19 pediatric and adult cases for disease prevention and control.
Sant Joan de Déu: It is a university hospital specializing in the fields of pediatrics, gynecology, and obstetrics, which has a long history of more than 150 years, during which it has undergone many transformations and changes due to the need to adapt both to the social and health conditions of the time and to technological advances and the evolution of health care.
SJD Barcelona Children’s Hospital will be the only exclusively pediatric center that participates in studying the added value of AI algorithms in diagnosis and thoracic prognosis.
Kids Corona: The Kids Corona platform, which the San Joan de Déu Hospital launched last April continues to offer answers to better understand the incidence, impact, and transmission capacity of COVID-19 in children and pregnant women. In other words, the platform gathers different Pediatrics studies related to COVID-19 to improve the treatment, outcome, and transmission, for instance at school such as in this study, of the pediatric population.
Other Kids Corona Projects: “Susceptibility to COVID-19 in pediatric age: Study of cases and household contacts“, “SARS-CoV-2 seroconversion during the postoperative period in pediatric patients“, “Susceptibility to COVID-19 in pediatric age: Study of cases in school-like environments” and “Characterization of COVID-19 in the Pediatric Population: Study of Sero-surveillance and of Immunological and Biochemical Biomarkers of Disease Severity”.